Caught driving on a suspended license in Maryland? Getting a ticket could cost you more than a just a fine — it could mean serious penalties, including jail time.

Read on to learn what happens when you get caught, understand the maximum penalties you could face and discover what a traffic lawyer can do to protect you. If you’re currently facing charges, fill out the contact form or call 301-362-3300 to request a free consultation with a Maryland traffic attorney.

What Are The Consequences Of Driving While Suspended In Maryland?
If you get caught driving while suspended in Maryland, you can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. Driving on a license that is suspended, revoked, canceled or otherwise invalid is considered a criminal violation of Maryland article TA§ 16-303.

Once you have been charged, the prosecution will try to prove that you decided to drive with knowledge that your license was suspended or revoked. If you are a habitual offender or while caught while on probation, the charges may become even more difficult to fight without legal representation.

What Are The Possible Fines & Penalties?
At a minimum, driving on a suspended license in Maryland can net you a $500 fine and two months in jail. You will also be hit with 12 points on your license, meaning your license could be instantly revoked.

The maximum penalty under 16-303(C) is 1 year in jail, a $1000 fine and 12 points.

Under 16-303(H) the maximum penalty is 60 days in Jail $500 fine with 3 points. These are the most commonly issued citations under 16-303.

A second offense can be even more serious. You could face maximum penalty of one year in jail and $1,000 for a first offense. A second offense could land you a $2,000 fine and two years in jail.

If you’ve been arrested after a DUI or other criminal traffic violation, your charges and sentence if convicted could become even more severe.

Will I Go To Jail For Driving On A Suspended License?
It depends. The Maryland courts look at many factors when deciding whether you will face the penalty of jail time. Some of these factors may include:

  • Have you previously been convicted of a criminal traffic violation?
  • Are you a habitual driving while suspended offender?
  • Are you being convicted of other charges (speeding, reckless driving, DUI, etc.?)
  • Were you driving with or without knowledge of driving on a suspended license?
  • Were you on probation at the time of your arrest?

Should I Hire A Defense Attorney To Fight My Charges?
Yes. Even a first-time conviction can result in jail time and show up on your permanent record. These charges can show up in employer background checks. To make matters worse, your license can also be instantly revoked upon conviction.

A lawyer can help you get Probation Before Judgement (PBJ), allowing you to avoid jail time and keep a conviction off your permanent record. Hire an attorney that knows Maryland’s judges and prosecutors well and is intimately familiar with the local courts.

If you have been convicted of a crime in the past, it is IMPERATIVE that you hire a lawyer to protect your rights. Multiple convictions can mean very serious, life-altering consequences. In these situations, you cannot afford to walk into court without legal representation.

How Can I Get Hire A Lawyer?
Call Azari Law today at 301-362-3300 or get started by filling out the contact form on this page. You’ll be able to arrange a free initial consultation with a local Maryland defense lawyer.

Azari Law has defended hundreds of clients in traffic and criminal cases in Maryland. With a track record of protecting clients’ rights in Howard County, Montgomery County, Prince George’s County and throughout Central Maryland, Azari Law is here to help.

Our two offices in Laurel and Rockville make it easy for you to sit down with a lawyer that knows the criminal courts in Maryland. Our firm is passionate about protecting the rights of clients like you and will fight aggressively to win your case.

If you’ve been charged with driving on a suspended license in Maryland, you can’t afford to wait another minute. Call or fill out the contact form today to get local representation for your case as soon as possible.